Agronomists are employed to advise on the construction or maintenance of a sports turf facility or golf course or possibly to appear in court as an expert witness. It is important that a client is confident that their chosen agronomist meets high standards of qualifications and experience.
An independent agronomist should be an applied scientist with a first or higher degree in a relevant subject and completely free of commercial interests. Depth of experience is important, as is adequate Professional Indemnity Insurance cover.
The Register of Independent Professional Turfgrass Agronomists was founded in 2002 to help potential clients choose the best turfgrass agronomist for their needs.
The rules for membership of RIPTA are strict and those allowed on to the Register are professional agronomists fulfilling criteria of independence, experience and academic excellence.
Enquiries concerning RIPTA itself, or for advice on becoming a member, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
All of our members have successfully passed a set number of criteria:
- Hold a recognised first degree or MSc in plant or earth science.
- At least four years’ post-graduate experience as a full-time, independent turfgrass agronomist.
- No association or understanding however informal with any commercial organisation that could influence his or her independence.
- Consultants or their employer must have and maintain insurance including Professional Indemnity insurance that satisfies the requirements of the register administrator.
Become a member
In order to join RIPTA you must first meet a number of set criteria. Members benefit from being listed on the register. Those listed on the register are regularly consulted regarding.
- Drainage advice
- Project management
- Feasibility studies
- Expert witness work
- Recruitment of staff
- Training and education
- Construction documentation
- Turfgrass disease problems
- Turf maintenance programmes
- Soil analysis/interpretation
How to join
Our application procedure can be read in full on our membership page.